Friday, May 9, 2008

Restaurant

So I have this part time job at a little mom & pop restaurant here in Salt Lake. I got the job to help pay for my trip to Kenya. That was AFTER Sally and I decided on the spur of the moment to go to Venice for a week...and we all know that Sally and I are required to pay a fee to get OFF the island of Burano...But what are you going to do when you have a condo in Venice for the week and all you have to buy is your plane ticket-and pay the fee to get off Burano. So to replace the money I started working 3 nights a week at this restaurant. I quit about 2 days before we left to go to Kenya.

Well, when I got back from Kenya I didn't really want to be on the schedule regularly, but I keep filing in for people. (I like to say and think it's because I'm nice, but really I can't walk away from the money. I mean really...$20 an hour on average, I choose when I work, I don't work if I don't want too and it's only a few hours at a time. I mean really, you can't beat that with a stick!)

Last night I thought I would die laughing. This little old man who comes to eat about 3 times a week (and always has the same thing) came in. He got a table with a new waitress (she's been there a couple of months). But she doesn't usually work on nights when he comes in. So when she asked him what he wanted to eat, he couldn't remember what he orders. He said it's been so long since he actually ordered he couldn't remember. Then he told her "Well, d--- it somebody back there has to know what I like!" Then the waitress found me to ask me what he wanted, I told her and then walked into the dining room. When the old man saw me he said, "Oh, good...you know what I like." It was sooo funny!!!

2 comments:

The Gray Team said...

That is too cute! I bet that he left his tip for you not the waitress you didn't know what he likes!

highdeekay said...

Lyn, just when I've about given up on a new charming entry you come through with flying colors! This is a gem (I sound like I'm a little old man with that kind of lingo).

thanks for the lol