Monday, May 19, 2008

The Little Farmer Inside of Me

So any of you who know me well, know that while I grew up on a farm I have spent the last 16+ years trying to suppress the part of me that is fascinated by watching things grow. The farmer wants to grub in the dirt, which then gets under the finger nails and ruins my manicure. Again the dirt ruins my pedicure...not to mention what dad would have to say about my gardening footwear...seriously, he would not approve of reefs and shovels in the same patch of dirt. Speaking of shovels, they make my back muscles hurt. But I could no longer suppress the fascination with watching things grow. (Even though it seems that I am now committed to a rather extensive watering process every day.) Now that I've finally given into the impulse it seems that I have unleashed a MONSTER.

I really am convinced that while I know the DEFINITION of the word MODERATION...I really have no concept of how to IMPLEMENT it into my life. I may need to work on that at some point.

All of this leads up to the fact that I planted a garden. You would think that a single person who lives alone would plant, I don't know two maybe three tomato plants or something, but not me.

I'm the proud owner of:
- lettuce
- spinach
- cilantro ( 3 bushes )
- basil (currently 3 plants and probably up to about 8 by the end of the week)
- rosemary
- lemon tyme
- dill
- radishes
- peppers ( 3 bell / 1 lemon something or other)

and last but not least

-tomato plants (9 of them to be exact)

What exactly do you think I'm going to do with the tomatoes from 9 tomato plants? I'm afraid I'm going to be that crazy garden lady at church looking for cars that are unlocked so she can put a sack of tomotoes in for the people when they come out of the church. My only consolation is that, so far, I've been able to resist the urge to plant zucchini. Heaven only knows THAT would get out of control in a real hurry.

2 comments:

The Gray Team said...

Give them to Nathan, he will love it. I have a friend that said you can freeze them straight off the vine and then when they thaw out the peel comes right off and they go straight into a pot for sauces. She says it saves all the time of making the sauce and then bottleing everythin all at once. Hooray for a garden!

Corinne said...

Wow, you will be busy! I am not sure I am ready to tackle a garden, four kids and a farmer husband all at once, but I might get around to planting some pumpkins. Spencer thinks I should plant a garden at Lafay's house, but I am not sure I have time to run to riverside to garden! I am going to be jealous of all of your fresh produce! Oh well, maybe when the girls get older and can acutally learn how to operate a garden hoe!